Psychology AQA (7181) (7182)
WHAT THIS COURSE OFFERS YOU
- Psychology is the scientific study of brain and behaviour – and is a Science subject.
- The majority of what we cover is research-based, so you will need to have an enquiring and analytical mind to do well.
- This course covers a lot of the history of Psychology, from very early theories right up to the latest in neuroscientific research.
- You’ll enjoy this course if….
- …you are a “jack of all trades” – there are a lot of different skills required for success on this course, including the ability to understand and apply statistics, the ability t understand and apply scientific principles and methods, and the ability to write articulate and detailed written answers.
- …you can think outside of the box.
- …you can work in pairs or small groups.
- …you can draw, present and conduct experiments.
- 5 GCSE passes at G5 or higher.
- G6 or above in GCSE English and Mathematics.
- G6 or above in GCSE Biology or other combined sciences.
ASSESSMENT / CORE MODULES
- Paper 1 – Introductory topics in Psychology
- Paper 2 – Psychology in context
- Paper 3 – Issues and options in Psychology
HOW WILL I BE TAUGHT?
- You are expected to be an independent and self-motivated learner.
- You will be provided with clear guidance in lessons on what you need to learn and how you can learn more efficiently.
- You will take a weekly test to show your understanding of previous work and also to practise for the exams.
- All students will be pushed to achieve as much as possible through the embedded use of assessment for learning strategies.
- You will learn a broad skill set that prepares you for higher education and a wide range of potential careers.
- Psychology has huge value if you are interested in any of the caring professions (from doctors and nurses through to social workers and teachers).
- It complements other A-level choices such as Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English, and Sociology. Many students go on to study Psychology at university.