English Literature OCR (H072) (H472)
WHAT THIS COURSE OFFERS YOU
- English Literature is a very flexible and adaptable subject so the possibilities are endless.
- You will learn to analyse the structure and use of language and literary devices in a test, comment on a range of critical views on a text, identify and analyse the features of a specific genre, and construct an argument. You will also learn about the social, historical and cultural context of the set texts.
- You’ll enjoy this course if….
- …you enjoy reading novels, poetry and plays and have a lively interest in culture and creativity.
- …you have an enquiring mind and can work independently.
- …you want to develop your understanding of the social, cultural and historical context in which literary texts are created.
- 5 GCSE passes at G4 or higher.
- G6 or above in GCSE English Literature and English Language.
ASSESSMENT / CORE MODULES
- Paper 1 – Shakespeare/ Drama and Poetry Pre 1900
- Paper 2 – Close Reading and Comparative Study
- Paper 3 – Close Reading Comparative Essay (Non Examined Unit)
HOW WILL I BE TAUGHT?
- Your study mainly involves preparation of the text for detailed discussion in class.
- There are also group presentations on aspects of the texts such as theme or structure.
- You will do research on the social and individual discussions with the teacher on coursework topics and essay practice for the written papers.
- There will be theatre visits to see the plays studied.
- Careers may include management, research, consultancy, publishing, public services, media, education and advertising.