Chemistry Edexcel (9CH0)
WHAT THIS COURSE OFFERS YOU
- Chemistry is a component part of many careers.
- It is essential for Medicine, Dentistry, Pharmacology, Forensic Science and Food Science and it occupies a central part of a wide range of other courses.
- You’ll enjoy this course if….
- …you have an interest in, and enjoyment of Chemistry.
- …you enjoy carrying out investigation by the application of imaginative, logical and critical thinking.
- …you want to use Chemistry to support other qualifications or progress onto further studies.
- 5 GCSE passes at G4 or higher.
- G6 or above in GCSE English and Maths.
- G6 or above in GCSE Science (Trilogy) OR G6 or above in GCSE Chemistry (Separate Sciences).
ASSESSMENT / CORE MODULES
- Paper 1 – Advanced Inorganic and Physical Chemistry
- Paper 2 – Advanced Organic and Physical Chemistry
- Paper 3 – General and Practical Principles in Chemistry
- 20% of the marks for this specification will involve mathematical skills at level 2 or above.
HOW WILL I BE TAUGHT?
- The course is made up of 19 topics.
- Essential concepts of each topic are introduced by the teacher in class, using ICT presentations and practical activities.
- You will study the background Chemistry independently and test your knowledge through homework assignments.
- The work is then applied to past paper problems, through practical investigations, research and group discussions.
- Chemistry occupies a central part of a wide range of courses including Archaeology, Engineering, Nursing, Environmental Science and Cosmetic Science. It is increasingly relevant to people working in areas such as journalism, law, catering and government establishments.
- It should also be noted that taking an A-level in a science subject does not limit you to following science courses later on.