Applied Science AQA (TVQ01028)
WHAT THIS COURSE OFFERS YOU
- Studying this qualification will enable you to develop your knowledge and understanding of scientific principles, as well as those scientific practical skills recognised by higher education institutions and employers to be most important.
- The qualification also offers you an opportunity to develop transferable skills such as problem solving, research and communication as part of your applied learning.
- You’ll enjoy this course if….
- …you are interested in developing your Science skills and knowledge
- …you are interested in Science research and the impact of Science in society.
- 5 GCSE passes at G4 or higher.
- G5/G6 or above in GCSE English, Maths and Science (Trilogy or Separate Sciences).
- It is especially useful if you have good practical skills.
- The most important requirement is that you have a practical interest in and enthusiasm for Science and that you feel able to undertake the amount of portfolio work required to fulfil the demands of the course.
ASSESSMENT / CORE MODULES
- Unit 1 – Key Concepts in Science assessed by written exam
- Unit 2 – Applied Experimental Techniques assessed by portfolio
- Unit 3 – Science in the Modern World assessed by written exam
HOW WILL I BE TAUGHT?
- Your teachers will use a number of techniques to help you learn. Some will involve a formal teaching situation where you will be given, or expected to take, notes.
- You will be expected to develop research skills and techniques for yourself.
- You will be expected to undertake a substantial amount of practical scientific work either as part of a group or by working independently.
- You should remember that in order to obtain the highest marks in your portfolio work, it is important that you are able to demonstrate independence in your work, be able to use your findings in order to make accurate conclusions and be able to evaluate the effectiveness of your practical work and research.
This qualification is supported by a range of universities, and taken alongside other qualifications it can fulfil the entry requirements for a number of science-related higher education courses, including biomedical, forensic and sports science, as well as nursing. In addition, the qualification is eligible for UCAS points.