Art and Design Edexcel (9ADO)
WHAT THIS COURSE OFFERS YOU
- Art is relevant to a range of careers, some of which are detailed below.
- It will provide a valuable skill in our highly visual, multimedia world.
- You’ll enjoy this course if….
- … you enjoy making Art and have a desire to communicate with an audience through your practice.
- …if you have a real commitment to research and development.
- …if you enjoy visiting galleries, using primary sources and communicating through your artwork.
- 5 GCSE passes at G4 or higher.
- G5 or above in GCSE Art & Design.
ASSESSMENT / CORE MODULES
- Personal Portfolio in the first year: art work covering four assessment objectives.
- Personal statement in the second year: essay on an artist, art movement, or theme in art.
- Practical art work responding to essay.
- Exam in second year, with preparation time.
- Paper given ut end of January
- Artwork completed in May.
HOW WILL I BE TAUGHT?
- In mixed ability groups and in one-to-one tutorials to develop and explore a range of projects to address your assessment objectives.
- As the course progresses, personal work is developed through negotiation and a discussion with teachers.
- There are several visits to museums and galleries, and opportunities to study at Central Saint Martins, The Courtauld Institute of Art and Camden Arts Centre.
- The UK’s creative industries are worth a record £84.1 billion to the UK economy, and rising every year.
- Employment in the creative industries is increasing at more than twice the rate of the wider UK economy, in July 2015 providing 1.8 million jobs.
- Studying Art and Design can lead to a wide range of careers in the creative industries such as Architecture, Advertising, Fashion and Textiles, Graphic Communications, Digital Media, Animation and Design.